Sunday, May 29, 2011

Doggie-Paddling Bliss

                Taking the puppies anywhere is always an adventure on its own.  This past week, JM and I decided it was time to take JD and P to one of JD’s favorite places, the lake.  I always have to pack a bag for them, just to make sure I have everything that they could possibly need; poop bags, toys, leashes, life vests, water bowl, clean water, snacks, towels, ear cleaner and medicine, cotton balls and q-tips in a zip lock bag, and so forth.  Sometimes I feel like a human mommy with a diaper bag, but instead I have my go to “doggie survival bag.” 

Trying on their life vests before we leave

                As we pull up to the state park to pay, the attendant reminded me, as he always does, that my fur children must remain on a leash at ALL times, ALL TIMES!  A little redundant, and he definitely didn’t have to repeat himself in a firmer fashion; mainly because I had no intentions of keeping them on a leash at all while we were there.  I know, I am a bit of a daring rule breaker, but how are JD and P supposed to play fetch while attached to a 6-8 ft. leash?  Besides playing fetch, my dogs are very well behaved and obedient.  Seeing another person or dog doesn’t bother them, in fact they show very little interest in playing with other dogs even though I socialized them and they frequent the bark park.

Anyways, it was an extremely quiet day at the lake, largely due to the fact it was a weekday, but the two had fun nonetheless.  We found a spot over off of the boating dock and posted up.  We audaciously disobeyed the park employee, and did what he adamantly told us not to do; we unleashed the pups, put on their floating gear (as a safety precaution), let them test the water out and sniff around, and then threw their toy out into the middle of the quiet water.  ANNNNNNNNNND they were off.  It was like watching the tortoise and the hare race after the much awaited prize floating in the water.  P was never a strong swimmer, but with his new life vest, he has a renewed sense of confidence when it comes to the water.  JD swam out, retrieved the floating toy, and brought it back, taunted P, and then dropped it at our feet for another toss.  You couldn’t keep these two out of the water. 

P was too tired at this point to swim that far out, but still excited!

                Soon two hours passed by with non-stop playing, and I figured enough was enough, especially since JD doesn’t know when to quit.  If she wasn’t wearing her life vest, I’m sure she would swim to the brink of no return and we would have to rescue her.  After drying off the dogs, and re-drying off the dogs (like I said, you couldn’t keep these two out of the water), cleaning JD’s ears (no ear infections here!), and packing up the doggie survival bag while trying to keep them out of the water we walked back to our car, of course with a few sniffs along the way, and soon enough we were home were bath time awaited them.  WHEW!  Who knew going to the lake with my two fur children would be so much work?

1 comment:

  1. On Friday the ranger at our local park let us have it after he saw P.Tuna running around not off leash, but she was just sitting there, leash on, with out one of us holding it. Outragous! Who is she going to attack!? I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...