Monday, May 23, 2011

Back Breaking Work

                Yesterday was a back breaking day, and WHEW!  I’m still suffering from the consequences.  Let me start from the beginning.  JM and I have moved due to him being in the military, and at the moment we are living in a house that I am trying to turn into a home.  I know this is not our dream home, and nor do we have plans on staying in this area….EVER!, but it’s still home.  JM tells me that I need to stop decorating since he’s more of a “percher” (he never fully moves into a house or apartment, heaven forbid decorate it, he’s such a guy), and I on the other hand like to “live” (I can’t stand not making a place my own).  Well a few weeks ago I hit some garage sales while visiting KC and the nephews and we stumbled across the crème de la crème of garage sales.  The owner of the house told us they had a shop that had closed down and had their items, which consisted mostly of home goods and décor, for nearly 90% off.  I found a beautiful chandelier that I had to have, and pretty much stole it for only $10.00.  I finally had it installed this past weekend in our dining area (it replaced a hideous gold medallion light), and can you believe it?  

The hideous medallion light.  Very early 90's no?

  The contractor didn't center the light fixture in the middle of the room like you would think they would.  The room is a square, and since I don’t know the exact measurements, let’s says for visual sake that it is 10ft x 10ft; the light in the room sits somewhere at the 7ft x 5ft mark.  I know it’s strange!  Well for further input, there is a sliding glass back door that leads to the backyard in the dining room.  So the light is off centered to keep a clear pathway to the back door.  I didn't realize any of this, until AFTER I had hung the chandelier.  The way I had the dining room set up didn't work, so in steps the back breaking work of moving furniture.  

Original position

 
              Centering attempt 1                Centering attempt 2

After hours of moving things around, I think I finally found a set up that will work, at least for now, the only problem is I need to find a place for the box and it is not working out so well.  
Before

After

The room is still under works.  I am hoping to find some cute frames that match the rustic metal ones I have, but larger to hang some family pictures on the wall opposite of the buffet, or maybe some metal art work.  

The rustic frames I love.



1 comment:

  1. haha I like the chandelier a lot better, the previous light looked like a boob, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...