Thursday, March 24, 2011

It's Raining, It's Pouring.....

                Never have I ever!  This happened back in February, but felt the need to share.  My sister-in-law, who I will call KC, and I were planning my other sister-in-laws, Kiwi, baby shower from afar.  We had made arrangements for it to be held at the church KC’s father works at, made candy gifts for the guests, and I had constructed my first ever diaper cake (tutorial will be coming soon).  

Candy Gifts

Diaper Cake


I had called Liz, who is the proprietor of Deliciously Creative Cakes, and had organized for her to make a monkey cake for the shower to be.  I had seen her website, and was impressed by the work she did.  It seemed like everything was falling into place.  Even Kiwi’s sister was helping out by coordinating the games we would be playing, and making leis and necklaces for the guests.  I was restless!  I couldn't wait to get back home, see my family, and celebrate the soon to be arrival of Mac D. 

                Unfortunately, nothing went right.  When the time came to leave, KC and I were iced and snowed in by an Arctic storm (which is rare for the area).  UGH!  So needless to say, we were unable to drive back home.  

JD playing in the snow

Since we had all the decorations, we decided to UPS them overnight, in hopes that it would arrive on Friday in time for the shower on Saturday.  When Friday afternoon rolled around, I checked online, as well as called the hotline numerous times to make sure the package was on its way to being delivered to the house.  Each time I got the same answer, “it is in route.”  Naturally, I thought this meant it was on a freight truck and would be delivered within the end of the day.  However, I was wrong.  Apparently "in route" also means it was scanned into the distribution center, placed in a locked shed, with another shed placed in front of it, door to door and would sit there until the next day of business, Monday.  With all my pleading with the store, they were unable to retrieve the package.  After hearing this bad news, it was only to be followed up with further debauchery.  The cake I was so eager to see got to the shower.  I had my brother send me a picture of it.  My heart raced as I opened it hoping something was going to go right, only to be let down by a catastrophe.  The cake was A.  not at all how I asked or envisioned and B.  not the correct size.  

the cake I asked for, but in pink

the cake they recieved


I had asked for a cake to feed 25-30 guests, this cake looked like a sheet cake I could have baked myself, and probably could not feed more than half the guests that showed up (32).  My parents decided a new cake was essential.   

When I called Liz to express my disappointment in her product she REFUSED to give me a discount or refund.  I do not own my own business, but what I do have is an understanding of customer satisfaction.  If a customer is upset with a product by any means a business would typically give a discount, refund, or coupons for their next visit to coax the customer back into being content and encourage them to use the business again.  With that being said, you would think that Liz would want to hold onto any customers that came her way, but dreadfully that was not the case in this circumstance.  Liz strongly stood by her product claiming she got the theme correct, nevertheless, how hard is it to botch a monkey theme when all she had to do was put a monkey on the cake; she could have put bananas on the cake and the theme still would have been correct.  Still, my gripe was it was not the design I had previously asked for, it was not up to the standards that she advertised on her website, nor was it large enough to feed all the guests.  After about a half an hour of arguing, she finally agreed to give me 55% of my money back (which still did not fund the second cake purchased).  So a word to the wise, please stay clear of Deliciously Creative Cakes.

With after all was said and done, and the many hiccups that took place during the shower, it was a great success.  Everyone had a blast, and most importantly, my brother and Kiwi got the much needed necessities for introducing their wee one to the world.  

Say hello to a sleepy Mac D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...